Saturday 25 January 2014

Honore Daumier Studies

Recently I've been infatuated with Honore Daumier's work. He was a caricature artist from the 1800s.

His works have a strong interplay between lighting and gesture, which I would like to reflect in my work. So the best way to do that is to study them!

There is specifically one work that particularly struck me during my studies even though there are others I would like to go over.

I wanted to go for simplicity and look for the initial impact of the composition and values. This way I can create a strong visual impact in my own work.


The Print Collector 1857-63
Image from - http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/daumier_honore.html



The lighting on the floor (A) and the slanted canvases (B) combine to make a ramp that directs the eye. The prints of landscapes (I'm assuming) (D) create a rhythm that also points towards that help create a focal point. The repetition also helps to convey this - 9 landscapes and one portraiture drawing.
The placement of the table (C) juxtaposed with the table underneath the focal point creates a direction that is similar to the direction created by the landscape prints. I'm not quite sure what the purpose of it is other than that.
Finally, there is (F) - the direction of the collectors gaze and the direction of his chest. The gaze is directed at the drawing while the plain of the chest feels like it is pointing towards the drawing. There is a slight variation in value between the side of the head and the face to indicate reflected light bouncing off the drawing.

I love how the composition feels so purposeful. That directions of plains are slanted to interact with light to aid in direction of the viewers eye to the focal point. Then there are the subtleties of the landscapes prints. They're all simple, but still have enough detail to suggest that they are 'there', but in low contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment